The first step in getting an app up and running is to create an app via the Developer Portal — the section of Canva's website for creating, configuring, previewing, and otherwise managing apps.
How to create an app
- Log in to the Developer Portal.
- Navigate to the Your apps page.
- Click Create an app.
- Select a target audience for the app:
- Agree to the terms and conditions.
- Click Create.
You'll be taken to a page for configuring the app.
- You can't convert a public app into a team app (or vice-versa).
- You can't create an app that belongs to multiple users.
- There's a limit of 40 apps per user, per team.
By itself, creating an app via the Developer Portal doesn't do anything. You still need to write the source code that defines the app's behavior. To learn how to do this, see Setting up the starter kit.