Guidelines for designing a simple and clean empty state.
Empty states help communicate that an app has no content to show but also what kind of content a user should expect to see on the page.
An excellent empty state or page uses this opportunity to build trust or provide suggestions that help users fix or continue their task.
Empty states are crucial when designing apps that use authentication or fetch, because some authenticated users may not have any content or data associated with their accounts.
- Keep the message concise, informative, and actionable, using 1-2 sentences.
- Let users know what’s empty
- Stick to one primary call-to-action to keep users focused
- Don't use language that can make users feel at fault
- Explain the features or benefits of your app